I was fortunate to prevail in a bench trial for a great CPA firm in August and was reminded of these takeaways:
1) A CPA’s work product will seldom be perfect but good workpapers can save you from many apparent sins.
2) Identify sources of data in your work product or you may end up as guarantor of data you should not be responsible for.
3) Smart and highly educated Plaintiffs who exaggerate their claims can be systematically destroyed, but only with a light touch.
4) Credibility and likeability are critical in a factually complex case and lawyers and CPAs need to begin to establish both on day one of their engagement.
5) Our trial system is not perfect, but it often yields the right result so defendants should not despair.