Takeaways from State of the LPL Market Panel Presentation at ABA National Legal Malpractice Conference 2017 – Commercial Litigation Blog Post by Joe Kingma
Blog Post by Joe Kingma.
Takeaways from State of the LPL Market Panel Presentation at ABA National Legal Malpractice Conference – Boston 2017
- Big Data is changing Underwriting, Broking and Claims Handling and helps to keep the LPL and APL markets highly competitive and insurance reasonably priced.
- P & C events, such as Hurricanes in the Caribbean, no longer drive rates up for Lawyers and Accountants because carriers now distinguish between Casualty and Professional Liability risks.
- The Great Recession, the largest economic crisis in 70 years, created a hard market that only lasted about six weeks.
- Capital to insure professionals keeps pouring into the market, despite an increase in huge claims individually exceeding hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Despite all the positive developments, premiums have increased between 2 and 4% on average for Lawyers E and O insurance in 2017. While 20 years ago this would have been classified as an annual inflation adjustment, now it may be the closest thing we will see to a hard market for some time.
For more information on our Commercial Litigation Blog or to subscribe, click here.